This position plays a primary role in the execution of production and finishing of all baking and pastry products in the Pastry Shop at The Hotel Hershey. This individual displays exemplarily skills, knowledge and leadership in the realm of kitchen production, plated desserts, baked goods and finishing techniques.
The Pastry Cook I leads the others while executing daily tasks with efficiency and accuracy. This individual is expected to understand various business levels and how it impacts our interest as a business in food and labor costs for success.
Performs job related duties as required; to include daily food requisitions, banquet and outlet production, finishing and set-up of buffets and the ability to work on an a la carte line in the pastry area of any of our restaurants.
- Produce dessert and bakery products while following recipes and/or chef’s directions consistently and efficiently without supervision
- Maintain clean and sanitary work environment and station on a daily basis
- Maintain standards of good personal hygiene and proper uniform guidelines
- Project positive, self motivated & professional attitude at all times
- Assist, train & direct Pastry Cook 2, Pastry Cook 3, Pastry Interns and Part-Time Pastry Cooks in daily tasks for profitable success of the department as a whole
- Prepare & maintain mise en place on station for the required number of covers
- Keeps busy, consistently looking to help others as time allows
- Work safely with and around equipment with moving parts, knives, hot surfaces & steam
- Consistently checks quality of food items needed for daily mise en place, practicing proper rotation (FIFO) and prep levels
- Able to handle multiple large amounts of prep levels with consistency and without sacrificing food quality
- Maintain a high standard of food quality with demonstrated efficiency in the utilization of products to control food products
- Properly label, date and rotate all products to ensure safe keeping and sanitation
- Able to control prep inventories, outlet requisitions and par levels
- Demonstrate leadership skills within your work group or station partners
- Ability to communicate effectively as a team player with supervisors, employees & customers
- Write prep lists for cooks with regard to food & labor costs
- Able to manage the stations and the needs of the pastry shop in the absence of the Executive/Assistant Pastry Chef with a positive, supportive attitude
- Ability to assist in developing, writing & producing new menu ideas
- Assist in strategies to develop efficiencies with the work group to streamline production & labor
- Able to complete end of period inventories
- Able to effectively work any shift within all of the pastry or baking station’s throughout the Restaurants and Pastry Shop of the Hotel
- Demonstrate interest in the industry by growth of abilities & knowledge
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 7 years high product scratch bakery experience in an upscale/casual restaurant environment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Degree or Certificate in Baking and Pastry Arts.
- Ability to receive, understand & carry out instructions
- Exemplary baking and pastry skills and knowledge
- Exceedingly proficient pastry skills including: icing, glazing and piping, torting/building of cakes and frames, individual dessert production & basic and advanced baking techniques
- Knowledge of bread structure, dough hydration and lamination process for bakery station
- Knowledge of European classic pastry styles and techniques
- Able to follow recipes or chef’s directions without supervision
- Demonstrate advanced ability in all food cookery techniques
- Demonstrate ability to lead, direct & train other employees and externs
- Working knowledge of kitchen equipment, good knife skills, and possess a full tool kit
- Working knowledge of weights and measures, as well as basic math applications
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Utilize interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts
- Ability to work organized alone or within a team environment
- Ability to speak, read and write in English
- Ability to handle a fast paced, and at times, an extremely stressful environment
- Capable of following directions from Chefs, Directors, and department leaders
- Pass a written culinary/pastry test covering modern, fundamentals’, and classic baking and pastry techniques with a score of at least 75%
- Complete a baking and pastry practical exam to test actual abilities
- Must obtain ServSafe certification.
Physical Demands & Working Condition
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Occasional (<33%)
- Bending Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- Pushing/Pulling (<33%) (150lbs maximum weight)
- Must have ability of taste buds to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperature, and mouth feel (smoothness, pungency, etc.) of food, and beverage.
- Must be able to perform repetitive motions. Must have ability to use body parts on a regular and continuing basis repeating the same motions for a reasonable period of time without resting.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
- This is a union position and the work schedule will be based on union seniority. Candidates must be able to meet scheduled requirements, which will most likely require evening and weekend hours.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer